[R] Problem with 'lars' package

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue Apr 27 10:38:22 CEST 2010

On 27.04.2010 07:33, Tal Galili wrote:
> The CRAN website is down, and will remain so for the next few hours, see
> link for alternative images:
> http://www.r-bloggers.com/r-project-websites-down/

... which explains one warning, see bewlow.

> ----------------Contact
> Details:-------------------------------------------------------
> Contact me: Tal.Galili at gmail.com |  972-52-7275845
> Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |
> www.r-statistics.com (English)
>

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 1:58 AM,<khasanova at berkeley.edu>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm having trouble running 'lars'. When I install it I get the following
>> warning:
>>
>>> install.packages('lars')
>> Warning in install.packages("lars") :
>>   argument 'lib' is missing: using
>> 'C:\Users\Anna\Documents/R/win-library/2.10'

Well, you have not specified a library, hence the first one from
.libPaths() is used. You can probably ignore it if this is fine for you.

>> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
>> trying URL
>> 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.10/lars_0.9-7.zip'
>> Content type 'application/zip' length 211898 bytes (206 Kb)
>> opened URL
>> downloaded 206 Kb
>>
>> package 'lars' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>>
>> The downloaded packages are in
>>         C:\Users\Anna\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpmRYoLn\downloaded_packages
>> Warning message:
>> In open.connection(con, "r") :
>>   unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.

The CRAN master is unexpectedly unavailable as explained by Tal Galili.
This can be ignored, R tried to update the list of mirrors for you (from
the CRAN master).

>> When I actually try to run it, it gives me the following message:
>>
>> Error: argument "Gram" is missing, with no default

You misspecified a function call,I guess. But hard to say what you did
without seeing the actual code.

Uwe Ligges