[R] when setting environment: target of assignment expands to non-language object

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 04:21:40 CEST 2010

Michael Steven Rooney wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to place my own functions in the nlme environment:

I'm not that does what you want.  It doesn't place your function in the
environment, it attaches the environment to your function.  The
difference is that other functions won't see yours, but your function
will see whatever is in that environment.
> The following statement works:
>
> environment(coef.corSPT) <- environment(getS3method("coef","corSpatial"))
>
> but this one returns an error:
>
> environment(get("coef<-.corSPT")) <-
> environment(getS3method("coef<-","corSpatial"))
> Error in environment(get("coef<-.corSPT")) <-
> environment(getS3method("coef<-",  :
>   target of assignment expands to non-language object
>
> What should I do?

If you want to change the coef<-.corSPT object, use backquotes to treat
it as a name:
environment(`coef<-.corSPT`) <-  ...

Duncan Murdoch