[R] Confusing concept of vector and matrix in R

Matthew Keller mckellercran at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 04:05:58 CEST 2010

Rolf: "Well then, why don't you go away and design and build your own
statistics and data analysis language/package to replace R?"

What a nice reply! The fellow is just trying to understand R. That
response reminds me of citizens of my own country who cannot abide by
any criticism of the USA: "If you don't like it, why don't you leave?"
Classy.

I have sympathies with the author. When I first began using R
(migrating from Matlab), I also found the vector concept strange,
especially because I was doing a lot of matrix algebra back then and
didn't like the concept of conflating a row vector with a column
vector. But I've since gotten used to it and can hardly remember why I
struggled with this early on. Perhaps your experience will be similar.

Best of luck!

Matt

Matthew C Keller
Asst. Professor of Psychology