[R] reordering of matrix rows to maximize the sum of the diagonal

Jonathan jonsleepy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 20:53:01 CEST 2010

Hi Dennis,
   Thanks for the idea, but the order of the rowSums does not
necessarily correspond to the order of rows that maximizes the "rank"
of the matrix.

Ex:
> a[1:9]<-c(1,1,30,50,1,1,1,20,1)

     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    1   50    1
[2,]    1    1   20
[3,]   30    1    1

> a[order(rowSums(a)),]

     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    1    1   20
[2,]   30    1    1
[3,]    1   50    1

In this case, I would like to rearrange the original matrix into:

[1,]   30    1    1
[2,]    1   50    1
[3,]    1    1   20

Best,