[R] Rmpi installation problems on slave nodes

Paul Geeleher paulgeeleher at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 18:14:51 CEST 2010

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install Rmpi on the slave nodes of my cluster. The
installation seems to work with no errors or warnings using this

R CMD INSTALL --configure-args="--with-Rmpi-include=/usr/lib64/openmpi/1.3.2-gcc/include
--with-Rmpi-type=OPENMPI" Rmpi_0.5-8.tar.gz

But when I attempt to load Rmpi I get the following error:

> library(Rmpi)
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared library '/usr/lib64/R/library/Rmpi/libs/Rmpi.so':
  libmpi.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error in library(Rmpi) : .First.lib failed for 'Rmpi'
Error in dyn.unload(file.path(libpath, "libs", paste("Rmpi",
.Platform$dynlib.ext,  :
  dynamic/shared library '/usr/lib64/R/library/Rmpi/libs/Rmpi.so' was not loaded

I wonder does anybody have an ideas as to what might be wrong here?

It seemed to install just fine on my master node by the way.

Paul Geeleher
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Applied Mathematics
National University of Ireland