[R] Upgrading R using the "global library folder" strategy - what do you think about it?

Daniel Nordlund djnordlund at verizon.net
Mon Apr 26 06:21:18 CEST 2010

Tal,

I looked at your blog, and your instructions, and I guess that for Windows (which I use) I don't see the advantage over using the R_LIBS environment variable as discussed in the R-FAQ for Windows.  You need to initially copy current user installed librarys to your R_LIBS directory (similar to your instructions), but once that is done, all you need to do to upgrade is install a new version of R and then run update.packages() from the new R installation.  And for the latest versions of R and Windows, it seems something like that is done by default if you don't have R_LIBS or R_LIBS_USER defined.

Dan

Daniel Nordlund
Bothell, WA USA