[R] Intersection for two curves

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Apr 24 15:37:33 CEST 2010

On Apr 24, 2010, at 9:05 AM, hadley wickham wrote:

>>> rm(list=ls())
>>
>> PLEASE, DON'T DO THAT!!!!. Or rather you can do it in your
>> workspace but
>> don't post it. It's not fair to a person who may not read your code
>> line by
>> line before pasting it into their workspace and having it wiped
>> out. Do you
>> expect us to completely clear out our workspaces just so we can
>> answer your
>> questions? At the very least comment it out so it doesn't blow away
>> half a
>> days work for someone who is trying to be helpful.
>
> If clearing out your workspace destroys *any* work, then something is
> seriously wrong with your workflow.

Perhaps, true in some respects. I am still chiseling out work using
primitive editing tools. But it still takes several minutes to load
the objects I am working on into memory and then several minutes each
to build new models. The models still reside in memory, since I do not
know any method for automatically saving the output that would not
further increase the time expended. Typically I am working on .Rdta
files that are 400MB on disk and then are around 4GB in RAM. I need to
make a tradeoff between the time I would lose in saving after every
<n> models or tabulation, versus the security of having everything
saved. If you want to recommend methods that would speed those
processes, I'm surely all ears.

> Hadley
>
> --
> Assistant Professor / Dobelman Family Junior Chair
> Department of Statistics / Rice University
> http://had.co.nz/

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT