[R] Unable to make bitmapdll files on windows 7 64 bit machine

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 10:47:55 CEST 2010

On 22/04/2010 2:03 PM, arnholtat at appstate.edu wrote:
> I am trying to build a windows 32 bit version of R 2.11.0 from source on a machine running
>  windows 7 - 64 bit while running as the machine's administrator.
> I am able to run "make all recommended"...However, once I attempt to build the bitmap files I get the following:
>
> C:\Rsource\R-2.11.0\src\gnuwin32>make bitmapdll
> make -C bitmap
> make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/Rsource/R-2.11.0/src/gnuwin32/bitmap'
> make CC='gcc -std=gnu99' AR='ar' \
>   CFLAGS="-O3 -I../../../extra/zlib -DPNG_NO_MMX_CODE" \
>   RANLIB=ranlib ZLIBLIB=../../../extra/zlib -C libpng \
>   -f scripts/makefile.mingw prefix=foo libpng.a
> gcc -std=gnu99 -c -O3 -I../../../extra/zlib -DPNG_NO_MMX_CODE -o png.o png.c
> Assembler messages:
> Fatal error: can't create png.o: Permission denied
> make[3]: *** [png.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [buildpng] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Rsource/R-2.11.0/src/gnuwin32/bitmap'
> make: *** [bitmapdll] Error 2
>
> Any suggestions/hints on what I am messing up are most appreciated.

You  need to check the permissions on the files installed by the Rtools
installer.  From the look of it, you are missing some permissions on the
src/gnuwin32/bitmap/libpng directory, or one of its parents.  In Unix
terms, you need read-write-execute permission on all of those
directories, and I think the Rtools installer is not currently giving
you that.  You can run "ls -l" to see what permissions you've got; ls is
in the Rtools.  I forget how you change permissions in Windows 7 without
chmod, but I think it's a matter of working with the Properties you see
when you right click the file.  (Or you can install Cygwin, and then
you'll get chmod.)

Duncan Murdoch