[R] question on rpart

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Thu Apr 22 15:25:58 CEST 2010

--- Begin included message

I have attempted to email the author of this package without success,
just wondering if anybody else has experienced this.

I am having an using rpart on 4000 rows of data with 13 attributes.
I can run the same test on 300 rows of the same data with no issue.
When I run on 4000 rows, Rgui.exe runs consistently at 50% cpu and the
UI hangs.... it will stay like this for at least 4-5hours if I let it
run, and never exit or become responsive.

here is the code I am using both on the 300 and 4000 size subset :

train<-read.csv("input.csv",header=T)
y<-train[,18]
x<-train[,3:17]
library(rpart)
fit<-rpart(y~.,x)

Is this a known limitation of rpart, am I doing something wrong?
potential workarounds?

 I don't remember seeing a message from you.  If I accidentally deleted
one along with the daily junk mail I apologize.
  I run rpart on larger problems than this without issue.  I'd have to
see the data; perchance you have found a never-before-seen infinite
loop.
  Terry Therneau