[R] overlaying a levelplot on a map plot

Simon Goodman s.j.goodman at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Apr 21 20:27:38 CEST 2010

I've generated a levelplot showing the density distribution of a species
derived from survey transects, with lon, lat co-ordinates.

I'd like to overlay this on a map of the study region specified by:

map('worldHires', xlim = range(mlon), ylim = range(mlat)), where mlon, mlat
specifies the study region.

I've tried plotting the map first, then using the options: 'add=TRUE,
axes=FALSE' in the levelplot, but this doesn't work - a new plot is
generated for the level plot despite the 'add' option. If I try to add the
map on top of the level plot, they are not to the same scale.

Any suggestions on how to get round this.

Thanks