[R] Basic doubt on ylim

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Wed Apr 21 10:09:43 CEST 2010

On 04/21/2010 05:21 AM, poliveira wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a newbie with R and with a very basic question.
> Can I define the minor unit for ylim? For example, I have a y scale ranging
> from 1 to 14, jumping automatically every 2 units, but I want it to jump 1
> unit at a time...is it possible? I tried something like
>
>> boxplot(bla[,1], xlim=c(1,15,1)
>
> and it didn't obbey...
> :( any suggestion??

Hi Patricia,
This seems to be the "intelligent spacing" problem that often appears on
the list. If you ask for more than about eight labels on the default
sized plotting device without also asking for a smaller font size (cex),
R will tidy them up by ignoring some. You can force the axis labels to
some extent by using:

axis(2,1:15)

If you find that your labels begin to overlap, have a look at the
staxlab function in the plotrix package.

Jim