[R] the bar width of barchart plot in lattice package

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 16:16:30 CEST 2010

On Apr 20, 2010, at 9:46 AM, zhenjiang xu wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I am trying to use the following code to make a barchar plot. The
> bars in
> the plot turn out to be a little narrow. Is there any way to modify
> the
> width of the bars? Thank you!
>
> library(lattice)
> scores = gl(2, 5, label=c('Sensitivity', 'PPV'), length = 100)
> sequences = gl(5, 1, label=c('Lemna minor', 'Dugesia japonica A',
> 'Gymnosporangium sabinae', 'Hymeniacidon sanguinea', 'Streptomyces
> griseus'), length = 100)
> levels = gl(10, 10, label = c('Cycle 1', 'Cycle 2', 'Cycle 3',
> 'Cycle 4',
> 'Order 1', 'Order 2', 'Order 3', 'MaxPairs = 20', 'MaxPairs = Average
> Length', 'MaxPairs = 500'))
> factors = c(rep('Cycles', 40), rep('Order', 30), rep('MaxPairs', 30))
> values = rnorm(100) # this is toy data
> a = data.frame(values, scores, sequences, levels, factors)
> bc.factors =
>  barchart(values ~ sequences | scores * factors , data = a,
>           groups = levels,
>           layout = c(2,3),
>           between = list(y=0.5),
>           clip = list(strip = 'off'),
>           par.strip.text = list(cex=0.7),
>           par.settings = list(fontsize=list(text=8)),
>           auto.key = list(rectangles = TRUE, space = 'right',
> columns = 1),
>           draw.key = TRUE,
>           scales = list(x = list(rot = 45)))

?barchart

Looking at the arguments to barchart in the help page I would have
guessed that box.ratio would do what you want. Since that is clearly
not reproducible code , (in the absence of test dataset of the
appropriate structure) I suppose guessing will remain the level of my
knowledge in this instance.

> --
> Best,
> Zhenjiang