[R] comparing attitudes of 2 groups / likert scales?

Mona_m purplemind at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 13:07:37 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have just found this forum, and it looks like a great place to get some
help (I hope)
For my dissertation, which is due way too soon, I am doing a survey,
comparing attitudes of 2 independent groups, with 5 scale likert questions.
Basically I want to show if they have similar or different attitudes. I am
testing 4 hypotheses, and have in total about 20 questions.

I have to say my statistic skills are very basic and very rusty, we had some
lectures two years ago, where we were introduced to R. I looked through my
notes, and back then we did a one sample t-test to analyse likert type
questions. I believe I would need to do a 2 sample unpaired t-test.  It
would be great if someone could give me some feedback if this test is the
most suitable one for my purpose, and maybe could explain to me what’s the
easiest way to do this in R?

You would help me loads!!
Many thanks in advance
Mona