[R] Weights in binomial glm

Jan van der Laan djvanderlaan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 16:09:07 CEST 2010

Thierry,

Thank you for your answer.

>From the documentation it looks like it is valid to assume that the
weights can be used for replicate weights. Continuing your example:

dataset$Success2 <- dataset$Success
Aggregated2 <- cast(Person+Success ~ ., data = dataset, value =
"Success2", fun =list(mean, length))
m2 <- glm(mean ~ 1, data = Aggregated2, family = binomial, weights =length)

In this case the weights can be seen as replicate weights. In my case
the proportion of successes for each group is either 0 or 1.

I am familiar with the survey package. However, in this case there
should not be difference between the two as far as the parameter
estimates are concerned (the standard errors are incorrect for glm).

The strange thing in this case is that the estimates seem to depend on
the scaling of the weights, which should not be the case. Also in your
example scaling the weights gives the same estimate:

m1 <- glm(mean ~ 1, data = Aggregated, family = binomial, weights = length/10)

Regards,
Jan