[R] R interactive input like C++

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 15 03:10:07 CEST 2010

Erik Iverson wrote:
> ?? wrote:
>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> My objective is simple. Assume  I have a constant vector, say Vector. in
>> C++ code, I want to do:
>>

>> int index;
>> cout<<"Please enter the index of the element you want to look at Vector :";
>> cin>>index
>> cout<<Vector[index]
>>

>> I want every user to be able to do this.
>>
>> As I understand, scan can only read data from a fixed file. Can I just
>> get the input from the shell directly?
>>

> Isn't that what the file argument of ?scan says?  I think?
>
>      file: the name of a file to read data values from.  If the
>            specified file is ‘""’, then input is taken from the keyboard
>            (or whatever ‘stdin()’ reads if input is redirected or R is
>            embedded).

I think the required function is readline which prompts for user input.

?readline

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics