[R] vegan (ordisurf): R² for smoothed surfaces

Kim Vanselow Vanselow at gmx.de
Tue Apr 13 15:02:17 CEST 2010

Dear r-helpers,
I just read in an article by Virtanen et al. (2006) where vegetation-environment relationships  are studied by fitting smoothed surfaces on an NMDS ordination using GAMs (Wood 2000). The authors describe, that they used R² as goodness-of-fit statistic, which they compare to the R² of fitted vectors. Calculations were carried out using the package vegan (Oksanen).
I know that I can fit vectors onto ordinations with the function envfit. The R² is listed in the output table. I also know that GAMs are implemented in vegan by the function ordisurf. But how can I get an R² from this function.

Thanks in advance,
Kim