[R] using double loops and saving the data

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Mon Apr 12 09:52:51 CEST 2010

Hi

r-help-bounces at r-project.org napsal dne 12.04.2010 07:14:14:

> David Winsemius wrote:
> >

> >>I am guessing that the first time through when i= 5200 that i+1 is
> >>indexing an entry that does not exist. What does str( Price[[1]]
> >>[5200+1] ) return? What about str(Ca)?
> >

> >>So what is supposed to happen when you try "Ca[5200+1] <- "...
anything?

> >>Really?   I thought you said you had 5200 entries in Price?
> >
> > I am sorry, I should mention it earlier that there are initial numbers
for
> > Ca, Sh, Po and Price. Which means there are totally 5200+1 entries for
> > each of them.
> > I can get the answer that I want from str(Price[[1]][5200+1])
> > but str(Ca) gave me all zeros  "num [1:5201] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ..."
> > Ca[5200+1] = 0

You did not tell much more about your data and procedures. Each object
type has some distinct way of indexing and you can not mix them up.

x<-1:10
> x[5]
[1] 5
> x[[5]]
[1] 5
> x[5,]
Error in x[5, ] : incorrect number of dimensions

> x<-list(1:10)
> x[1]
[[1]]
 [1]  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10

> x[5]
[[1]]
NULL

> x[[5]]
Error in x[[5]] : subscript out of bounds

> x[1][5]
[[1]]
NULL

> x[[1]][5]
[1] 5

Nobody except you has your data available, so without providing more clues
you can not expect mor relevant answers.

Try str(your.objects) and maybe you could use debug to see how they are
operating and changing through a cycle.

Regards
Petr