[R] using BLAT in r

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Sun Apr 11 11:44:56 CEST 2010

Fahim wrote:
> I am trying to use blat in R. I couldn't find any package in CRAN or
> bioconductor. I downloaded the windows executable from Jim Kent's (from
> ucsc) webpage. I was wondering how to use/call these executables or
> functions embedded in these executables.
> I am seeking for some direction or some material that addresses such
> problem.
> Help appreciated.
> Thanks
>
> -Fahim Mohammad
> cecs, univ of Louisville

Hi Fahim,

The easiest way I can see is to use system() to call the executable.
Probably BLAT uses some text parameter files to specify what it needs to
do. Write an R function that generates the BLAT parameters files, run
BLAT and process the result using another function, something like this:

writeParameterfile()
system(blat)
getOutcomes()

Another option, a hard one though, is to link the source code of BLAT
directly into R. But I think using system is a good alternative.

cheers,
Paul

--
Drs. Paul Hiemstra