[R] Read data in sequences

RockO rock.ouimet at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 17:25:42 CEST 2010

Dear R users,

I tried to find a solution in the search list, but I cannot find it. I would
like to read a .txt file with, let say, three variables, with two of which
have repeated values in a number a columns.

An example:

The variables: Treat, x1, x2.
The values:
A 2.5 3.4 2.7 5.6 5.7 5.4 10.1 9.4 ...
B 5.3 5.4 6.5 7.5 1.3 4.5 10.5 4.1 ...

In the first column, the letters represent the variable "Treat", and the
sequence of numbers on a same line represent pairs of values for "x1" and
"x2".

In SAS, this type of dataset is easy to read using "@@" as in:
data a;
input Treat @ x1 x2 @@;

But I would like to know how to read it with R, to get rid of my addiction
to SAS.

Thank You,

Rock Ouimet
DRF-MRNF, Quebec