[R] square root of inverse

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Apr 8 17:45:58 CEST 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 11:28 AM, arindam fadikar wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net
> > wrote:
>
> On Apr 8, 2010, at 1:45 AM, arindam fadikar wrote:
>
> Dear users,
>
> How to get a symmetric square root of a positive definite matrix? I
> have
> tried using spectral decomposition, but some eigen values come out
> to be
> complex. Is there any function in R that can give the symmetric
> square root
> of a pd matrix?
>

> require(expm)
> ?sqrtm
>

> expm is not a package, but a function which gives  exp of a matrix,
> and i dont get any result from ?sqrtm. Please help.

It most assuredly _is_ a package. It's on R-forge rather than on CRAN.
Since you apparently have the Matrix package loaded, you are seeing a
different version of expm (the function). You might also try searching
about this topic:

RSiteSearch("complex square root matrix")

		Information on package 'expm'

Package:                       expm
Type:                          Package
Title:                         Matrix exponential
Version:                       0.96-2
Date:                          2009-06-06
Author:                        Vincent Goulet, Christophe Dutang,
Martin Maechler, David
                                Firth, Marina Shapira, Michael
Stadelmann
Maintainer:                    Expm Developers
                                <expm-developers at lists.R-forge.R-project.org

--
David

> --
> Arindam Fadikar