[R] Converting a character string into a data frame name and performing assignments to that data frame

Ivan Calandra ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de
Wed Apr 7 18:27:32 CEST 2010

Hi,
I'm not sure what your goal is, but why don't you use a list?

You can store each new dataframe name in a new element of the list.
At the end, if each element has the same length, you can use
as.data.frame() or something similar.

Since you didn't provide any sample data, I'm not sure if that's really
what you're looking for, but what I said might get you started.
I'm no expert, but I might be able to help you a bit further if you
provide the necessary information (which you can find in the posting guide)

Ivan

Le 4/7/2010 18:13, Kavitha Venkatesan a écrit :
> Hi,
> I'd greatly appreciate any insight into the problem in my previous
> message below: Please note that I would like to loop through the
> following steps for a list of data frames whose names are dynamically
> assigned at run time, so I have a character string variable, called
> "variable.df", which stores the name of the data frame at any given
> point ...and I need to be able to manipulate the contents of the data
> frame somehow using this character string :
>

>> colnames(variable.df) = colnames(some.other.df)
>> variable.df = rbind(variable.df, some.other.df)
>> write.table(variable.df, file=some.file)
>>
> Thanks!
> Kavitha
>
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Kavitha Venkatesan
> <kavitha.venkatesan at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to do the following operations:
>>
>> variable.df is a character string that contains the name of the data
>> frame that I want to do the following operations on:
>>
>> variable.df<- data.frame();
>> # I can do the above command using
>> assign( variable.df, data.frame() )
>>
>> How can I perform the assignment statements below ?
>>
>> colnames(variable.df) = colnames(some.other.df)
>> variable.df = rbind(variable.df, some.other.df)
>> write.table(variable.df, file=some.file)
>>
>> Doing
>> eval(  substitute( colnames(var), list(var=as.name(variable.df) ) ) )
>>   didn't get me all the way there.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Kavitha

Ivan CALANDRA
PhD Student
University of Hamburg
Biozentrum Grindel und Zoologisches Museum
Abt. Säugetiere
Martin-Luther-King-Platz 3
D-20146 Hamburg, GERMANY
+49(0)40 42838 6231