[R] appending an R-object to a list

David.Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Apr 6 23:28:42 CEST 2010

How do I append an R-object to a list?
I want to start with an empty list, and append R-objects one by one.
Does this start with a command like
mylist <- NULL
??

I have read a few answers on R-help to questions like this, but they all
seem to be well off the point. Sometimes it's assumed that the list is a
vector---not my case.
One answer I read said that the object appended must be a list. This doesn't
make sense to me. I don't want a list of lists. I want a list of R-objects.

I tried using c(with.stuff.inside.the.brackets). This seemed to unwrap my
structures, storing the individual components rather than the R-objects
themselves.

I tried looking in "Intro to R" but could find nothing relevant.

Thanks for any help.
David