[R] SAS and R on multiple operating systems

Roger DeAngelis(xlr82sas) rdeangel at amgen.com
Tue Apr 6 20:10:30 CEST 2010

Hi,

  Just a couple of notes to reply to others questions.

  1. unx is a file handle that points to my UNIX SAS work directory(like an
R workspace). This directory is not mounted under windows. most of the SAS
objects, ie SAS datasets in the 64bit Unix directory are available to my
windows SAS program. My UNIX is 64bit and my windows is 32 bit.

 2. The reason I bring up a 5000 page report has to do with analysis of
large epidemiology data bases, ie 100 million records. Incidentally the
listing ran for over 24 hours, because in order to follow the style guide
'proc report' had to be run for each page. I don't think R is well suited
for this cand og analysis.

SOAPBOX ON

If I had my way, I would remove IML from SAS and slide in R.

My comments are primarily to get the R developers to improve R. SAS needs
the competition. I don't see R as a replacement for SAS.

SOAPBOX OFF