[R] R 2.6 Support Question

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Apr 5 16:50:30 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Raadt, Timothy W. <twraadt at fedins.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question on the support of the R 2.6 software.  We are in the process of planning for a  hardware refresh and our new machines will be running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8.   My question is if the R 2.6 software would be supported on a system running Windows 7 and Internet  Explorer 8?  Also, are you aware of any customers having issues with Windows 7 and/or  Internet Explorer 8?
>
> Thank you for your time and any information you can provide.

 Do you understand how Open Source software works? There's a
difference between 'runs on' and 'supported on'. R 2.6 might 'run on'
Windows 7, but that doesn't mean if you have a problem that someone
will fix it. The same applies to the any version of R on any operating
system really.

 If you want "support" for R (in the sense of something that props you
up when otherwise you'd fall over) then you need to pony up some cash
and find a company that does it. These do exist. R-help isn't it.

Also, if you find that R 2.6 doesn't 'run on' Windows 7, you could
offer to pay an individual to port it. Or even to port your code for R
2.6 onto the latest version. However, R 2.6 is very, very old now.

 Have you yet tried running R 2.6 on Windows 7? That would be the
first thing you could do. Not like it will cost you anything assuming
you have a Windows 7 box handy.

Barry