[R] sample size > 20K? Was: fitness of regression tree: how tomeasure???

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon Apr 5 15:51:03 CEST 2010

Just to follow up on Bert's and Frank's excellent comments.  I'm
continued to be amazed by people trying to interpret a single tree.
Besides the variability in the tree structure (try bootstrapping and see
how the trees change), it is difficult to make sense of splits more than
a few levels down (high order interaction).

Also, even large sample size won't make up for poorly sampled data.
>From wikipedia's entry on the Kinsey Reports: "In 1948, the same year as
the original publication, a committee of the American Statistical
Association, including notable statisticians such as John Tukey,
condemned the sampling procedure. Tukey was perhaps the most vocal
critic, saying, "A random selection of three people would have been
better than a group of 300 chosen by Mr. Kinsey."

Andy

From: Frank E Harrell Jr