[R] update.packages() and install.packages() does not work more because of "Error in read.dcf"

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Apr 1 21:02:10 CEST 2010

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Uwe Ligges wrote:

>> herrold, before:
>> The true fault causing the noted message seems to be that there is a
>> faulty compression/decompression occuring in a carried library --
>> would't it be better to not bundle a frozen library, and to rather
>> simply 'flag' packages needed a rebuild so that fault is cured?
>>
>> I am curious here

> Ah, 'flag' those packages. I am curious to learn how to do that and see the
> patches / code that enable us to tell R, packages, repositories, users and
> developers that linking against some new library is required (including
> seldom but possible API changes).

An API change [which is what we are discussing here as to
zlib] should also be occasioned by a SOname bump.  I use the
term ** should ** as there is not formal enforcement, other
than discipline on the part of the maintainer, which is not
always followed (I am remembering fighting tcl/tk in this
regard, which was unwilling or unable to get this into their
release process)

Alternatively, in the instant case, at module retrieval,
build, and install time, in the 'CHECK' process, testing for
the observed error, and refusing to proceed (or at le3st
issuing a warning) when seen, with text to the effect that
there has been an 'unknown' API encountered, is a way to do
this on the 'client of the library' side

-- Russ herrold