[R] Using GIS data in R

Scott Duke-Sylvester scottdukesylvester at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 17:37:15 CEST 2010

I have a simple problem: I need to load a ERSI shapefile of US states
and check whether or not a set of points are within the boundary of
these states. I have the shapefile, I have the coordinates but I'm
having a great deal of difficulty bringing the two together. The
problem is the various GIS packages for R do not play well with each
other. sp, shapefiles, maptools, etc all use different data
structures. Can someone suggest a simple set of commands that will
work together that will:

1) load the shapefile data.
2) Allow me to test whether or not a (lng,lat) coordinate pair are
inside or outside the polygons defined in the shapefile.

Many thanks,
scott.

--
Scott M. Duke-Sylvester