[R] k-modes (Huang) in package klaR?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Sep 30 16:47:00 CEST 2009

Kim Vanselow wrote:
> Dear R-Users and Developers,
> I want to calculate something like k-means clustering, but with ordinal data (Braun-Blanquet) to combine this classification technique with a NMDS-Ordination.
> I found an algorithm especially developed for categorical data: k-modes (Huang 1998). Is there a function implemented in R which can calculate with this algorithm. I found a hint on a poster-abstract from Gero Szepannek, Uwe Ligges and Claus Weihs. There it is stated that the algorithm is implemented in their package klaR. But I cannot find anything about k-modes in the klaR-Tutorial.
> Could you please help me.

Dear Kim,

well, maybe you start writing a message to the authors of that
poster-abstract at first who might be able to help?
Since I am one of those: Where can I find this abstract or poster (at
least in order to remind Gero who does no longer work at the university
to finally implement the feature, if it is not yet there)?

Best wishes,
Uwe Ligges