[R] PCA or CA

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 22:38:24 CEST 2009

Hi Paul,

>> I have a data set for which PCA based between group analysis (BGA) gives
>> significant results but CA-BGA does not.
>> I am having difficulty finding a reliable method for deciding which
>> ordination
>> technique is most appropriate.

Reliability really comes down to you thinking about and properly defining
what _information_ you want to extract from your data set, which we know
nothing about. PCA and CA are fundamentally different. The classical use of
CA lies in the analysis of count-data (contingency tables), for which it
remains a brilliant method. It is also widely applied to analyzing normal n
x p matrices of the type usually analyzed by PCA. A doubly-centered PCA
would get you close to a CA of the normal n x p matrix (i.e. of an analysis
of the same matrix).

This is a biggish area, so grab your specs, and perhaps start with Jolliffe
(PCA) and Benzecri/Greenacre (CA).

Regards, Mark.