[R] multiclass SVM (e1071 package): number of estimated models

David Meyer david.meyer at wu.ac.at
Mon Sep 28 21:42:30 CEST 2009

Dear John,

there *are* indeed 3 classifiers trained, as you can see from

predict(model, iris, decision.values = TRUE)

However, the coefficients are stored in a compressed format -- see
svminternals.txt in the /doc subdirectory.

Best
David

I run multiclass SVM for iris data, which contains 3 classes (manual page
52). Based on manual, the implementation uses one-against-one approach:
k*(k-1)/2 binary classifiers trained. However, I am getting only two models
instead of three (only two columns of support vectors and coefficients).
What do I miss?