[R] Downloading data from from internet

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Sat Sep 26 17:31:50 CEST 2009

Bogaso wrote:
> Thanks Duncan for your input. However I could not install the package
> "RHTMLForms", it is saying as not not available :
>
>> install.packages("RHTMLForms", repos = "http://www.omegahat.org/R")
> Warning in install.packages("RHTMLForms", repos =
> "http://www.omegahat.org/R") :
>   argument 'lib' is missing: using
> 'C:\Users\Arrun's\Documents/R/win-library/2.9'
> Warning message:
> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>   package ‘RHTMLForms’ is not available
>
> I found this package in net : http://www.omegahat.org/RHTMLForms/ However it
> is gz file which I could not use as I am a window user. Can you please
> provide me alternate source?

Hi Bogaso.

Yes, I made the package available in source form with the expectation
that people who were interested in using it would find out how to build it
for themselves.
I have made a binary version available of the package for R-2.9.*
so install.packages() will work for you on Windows.

However, you can use the source form of the package as a Windows
user; you just have to install it. That involves finding out how to do this
(either with Uwe's Windows package building service or by installing the tools
that Brian Ripley and Duncan Murdoch have spent time making available to more easily use.)

Generally (i.e. not pointing fingers at any one in particular), I do wish Windows users would learn
how to do things for themselves and not put further burden on people who provide them with "free"
software and "free" advice to also provide them with binary versions of easily
installed packages. It does take time for us to maintain different operating
systems and to create binaries. Running Windows and not being able to install
R packages from source is a choice, not a technical limitation.

 D.

> Thanks,
>

> Duncan Temple Lang wrote:
>>

>> Bogaso wrote:
>>> Thank you so much for those helps. However I need little more help. In
>>> the
>>> site
>>> "http://www.rateinflation.com/consumer-price-index/usa-historical-cpi.php"