[R] Downloading data from from internet

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 12:17:48 CEST 2009

Here are three different approaches:

1. Using the first link as an example, on Windows you can copy the
data and headers from IE (won't work in Firefox) to Excel and from
there to clipboard again and then in R:

library(zoo)
DF <- read.delim("clipboard")
z <- zooreg(c(t(DF[5:1, 2:13])), start = as.yearmon("2005-01"), freq = 12)

2. on any platform you can read it straight into R:

L <- readLines("http://www.rateinflation.com/consumer-price-index/usa-cpi.php")

and then use the character manipulation functions (grep, sub, gsub,
substr) and as.numeric to parse out the data or

3. on any platform, use the XML package adapting the code in this post:

    https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2009-July/203063.html