[R] Data import from .csv-file with numeric header

Tobias Ruff lisemint at ymail.com
Fri Sep 25 08:53:34 CEST 2009

Hello everybody out there using R,

How can I import data with a numeric header from a .csv-file?
My file example.csv has the following content (a duplicate measurement of potentials for three different currents):
1; 2; 6
1.0; 2.1; 5.9
1.1; 2.0; 6.0

I try to import the data by using:
>measurement <- read.table("example.csv",sep=";",header=T)
However, the values in the header are renamed to the column names X1, X2 and X3.
When I try to plot the data, I don't get the right x-values (the three different currents 1, 2 and 6), but 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0:
>plot(mean(measurement))

Thanks in advance.