[R] Fortran vs R

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Wed Sep 23 23:06:42 CEST 2009

Because Fortan is a complied language, as opposed to R which is an interpreter, Fortran is orders of magnitude faster than R
Because R is a high level programming language developed for statistical analyses, for many problems it is much easier, and faster, to program statistical analyses wtih R than Fortran.
John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119

>>> Paul Simonin <paul.simonin at uvm.edu> 9/23/2009 11:13 AM >>>
Hello R users,
  I have a basic "computer programing" question. I am a student
currently taking a course that uses Fortran as the main programming
language, but the instructors are open to students using any language
they are familiar with. I have used R previously, and am wondering if
there is any benefit to my learning Fortran, or whether I should stick
with R for this class. Any advice? Are there clear benefits to using
Fortran, or things Fortran can do that R cannot?
Thank you very much for any thoughts!
Sincerely,
Paul S.