[R] Fortran vs R

Paul Simonin paul.simonin at uvm.edu
Wed Sep 23 17:13:22 CEST 2009

Hello R users,
  I have a basic "computer programing" question. I am a student
currently taking a course that uses Fortran as the main programming
language, but the instructors are open to students using any language
they are familiar with. I have used R previously, and am wondering if
there is any benefit to my learning Fortran, or whether I should stick
with R for this class. Any advice? Are there clear benefits to using
Fortran, or things Fortran can do that R cannot?
Thank you very much for any thoughts!
Sincerely,
Paul S.