[R] Working around 256 byte variable names? + trouble opening large file

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 21 22:34:18 CEST 2009

Sometimes getting a file into R can seem like the longest part of the project :(

Okay I seem to have misread your first message.  If I understand you correctly the file vcl is being read in?  It is only when you  try to attach the file that you have the problem?

If this is so, have a look at vcl.  Try

head(vcl)
str((vcl)
class(vcl)

and see if you can display the file (head()) and get some idea of the structure from str() and class()