[R] Nested test

chatcrawler chatcrawler at yahoo.de
Mon Sep 21 18:09:53 CEST 2009

Dear R users.

I am analysing a parasite-host dataset which consists of the following
samples collected from wild fish:

2 locations
with 7 and 8 fish hosts, respectively,
in which I retrieved and measured (length, weight, length/weight, pairwise
relatedness) unequal and rather small (5-30) numbers of parasites. Parasites
are also separated for sex (2-15).

Now, I intend to test, if parasite measures are significantly different
among
a) hosts, and
b) localities

To me, it appears that I have to run a nested ANOVA.

Several questions arise:

a) Which test is most advisable (are their non-parametric nested tests)?
b) Which are the commands to use in R, given the proposed tests?

Many thanks for your help in advance

Sebastian