[R] Basic function output/scope question

David Young dyoung at telefonica.net
Mon Sep 21 17:29:56 CEST 2009

Hello Group,

I'm trying to learn R and am having a problem getting output from a
function I'm trying to write.  The problem is clearly one of scope,
but I can't find the documentation that tells me how to get around the
issue.

Here is an example of my problem.

testfunc<-function(x)
{ y<-10
print(y)
print(x)
}

testfunc(4)

The variables x and y are accessible during execution of the function
"testfunc" but not afterwards.  I've read through the Introduction to
R, and the R language definition on functions, but do not see how to
define the output of the function, or change the scope of a function
variable using the R equivalent of a %global statement as would be
done in SAS.  Can someone tell me either where I can look for more
information or how to make x and y accessible to operations after the
function is run?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Best regards,