[R] how to count occurrences of string?

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Sun Sep 20 19:55:38 CEST 2009

Here is one approach: (Some steps are intermediary steps to illustrate what
is going on)

#create sample strings
#repeat each of them 10 times

string=rep(c(
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet",
"Lorem ipsum, and lorem ipsum something else",
"Foo",
"Bar",
"Foobar"),10)

##Create a gender variable
gender=rep(0:1,each=25)

##Create an index variable
index=1:length(string)

##This is the string you want to look for
i.am.looking.for="Lorem ipsum"

##Return the indices of the strings
##in which "lorem ipsum" is found?
grep(i.am.looking.for,string)

##Return a boolean for each index
##whether "lorem ipsum" is found or not?
index%in%grep(i.am.looking.for,string)

##Finally, table the occurrence/absence of
##"lorem ipsum" by gender
table(index%in%grep(i.am.looking.for,string),gender)

Hope that helps,
Daniel

cuncta stricte discussurus