[R] T-test to check equality, unable to interpret the results.

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Sep 18 17:52:00 CEST 2009

Rolf,

	I no longer claim to be young, the naïve part is still up for debate, but I find that restricting the null to only include = to be more confusing than to have it include the inequality.  To have the alternative be > and the null be = implies that we are working on the assumption that < is impossible, a stronger assumption than = of the null hypothesis.

I prefer to have all three possibilities explicitly stated between the 2 hypotheses to cover all possibilities.  An analogy that can be used to explain why we do the computation using the = value instead of any or all of the < values in the <= null is:  If you wanted to prove that you are smarter/stronger/richer/etc. than a group of people, then all you would need to do is prove that you are smarter/stronger/richer/etc. than the smartest/strongest/richest/etc.est of the group, not every individual.  Using the equality value of the null does the same, if you can find evidence against that, then you have found evidence against all other possible values (within the null) as well.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org