[R] generating unordered combinations

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Sep 18 00:36:00 CEST 2009

There is a 1-1 correspondance between your n-sets
consisting of m possible element types (0 through m-1
in your example) and the number of n-subsets of a (n+m-1)-set.
E.g., your example had m=3 and n=3 and subtracting
1:3 from each column of combn(3+3-1,3) gives your result:

>  t(combn(3+3-1, 3)-(1:3))
      [,1] [,2] [,3]
 [1,]    0    0    0
 [2,]    0    0    1