[R] installation problem

Michael Bibo michael_bibo at health.qld.gov.au
Thu Sep 17 01:37:09 CEST 2009

Uwe Ligges <ligges <at> statistik.tu-dortmund.de> writes:

> or just say
>
> install.packages("XML")
>
> as that CRAN extras repository is already a default under Windows.
>
> Best,
> Uwe Ligges

Thanks, Uwe.  I had tried that, with no success.  It turned out that starting
R with the "--internet2" option (chosen when installing R) was not working for
me to allow access.  I hadn't realised this because installing packages from
my national CRAN mirror did work, probably because the University that hosts
it is on my organisation's list of allowed sites.  When I started R with my
explicit proxy server address, username and password, "install.packages
("XML")" did indeed work.

Does this imply something about the usefulness of the "--internet2" option?

Michael