[R] Windows RGui line editing

OKB (not okblacke) brenbarn at brenbarn.net
Wed Sep 16 21:03:12 CEST 2009

    	I've been using Tinn-R with RGui on Windows for quite some time
now, but it's very irritating how the Windows RGui allows only very
rudimentary line-editing.  I can't even use shift-arrow key to select
text!

    	I searched through the archives and found what seemed to be a few
people asking about this, but I couldn't find a clear answer.  I saw
some references in the docs to Windows not having readline support, but
it's hard for me to understand the relevance of that, since clearly
there are gazillions of Windows programs that offer full line-editing
controls (e.g., text editors, Python's IDLE).

    	So, basically my question is, is there some way to use R on Windows
with full-featured line editing?  Like some other R interface than RGui,
or some kind of wrapper?  Or is it really the case that every person who
uses R on Windows just suffers with this limited functionality?

Thanks,
--
--OKB (not okblacke)
Brendan Barnwell