[R] Subsetting matrix with values from vector

Jorge Ivan Velez jorgeivanvelez at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 16:56:44 CEST 2009

Hi jorgusch,

First, do not call your data, "data"  :-)

require(fortunes)
fortune('dog')

Here are two suggestions to do what you asked for:

# your data
id <- 1:5
idnew <- 3:10

# to get the indexes
id %in% idnew

# to get the id's matching the new vector
id[ id %in% idnew ]

# another way
intersect(id, idnew)

See ?"%in%" and ?intersect for more information.

HTH,
Jorge

On 9/15/09, jorgusch <hackl.schorsch at web.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a large matrix (data), in which there is a column offerid. The values
> are numbers (lets say 1:5)
> There is another vector (idnew), which contains some of the offerids and
> many more (3:10).
>
> I want a subset of the matrix wiith only those rows, which match the
> criteria of the vector.
>
> How can I make it work?
>
> Thanks!
> --