[R] What are the return values of aov?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Sep 15 00:01:55 CEST 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 5:29 PM, Peng Yu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I get the following variables. Instead of guessing what they mean, is
> there a centralized location in R help() that describes their meaning
> and usage?
>
>> names(afit)
> [1] "coefficients"  "residuals"     "effects"       "rank"
> [5] "fitted.values" "assign"        "qr"            "df.residual"
> [9] "contrasts"     "xlevels"       "call"          "terms"
> [13] "model"

Probably not. Neither the help pages nor the R-help mailing list are
set up to teach you even basic statistics much less all of the
concepts needed to understand the reasons for creating all of items.
Buy yourself some books and start reading. The text which for many
years was the only source was "Modern Applied Statistics with S" and
if you had some grounding in basic statistics it might be one place,
but I'm guessing you might want to start with something more basic.

[76] William N. Venables and Brian D. Ripley. Modern Applied
Statistics with S. Fourth Edition

There are quite a few other texts that have come out in the last few
years:

http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.html

Perhaps:
[32] Peter Dalgaard. Introductory Statistics with R.

My favorite is Harrell's,  "Regression Modeling Strategies", but it's
not an introductory text and it's not really designed to teach R/S+.

You might also look at:
http://cran.r-project.org/other-docs.html

--
David.