[R] invalid type (list) for variable

Jen Maresh maresh at biology.ucsc.edu
Mon Sep 14 21:11:18 CEST 2009

Hello -

I am attempting to add interaction terms to a model using the gamm
function in the mgcv package. I stripped it down to only two terms to
simplify it. I have no trouble with individual terms, continuous or
factors, nor with interacting factor terms; I cannot, however, figure
out how to add interactions between continuous*factor terms. I applied
a smoother to my continuous term because it has a non-linear trend
over time. Below is an example of my attempt, followed by the error
message:

MMF.Test <- gamm(MaxDepth ~
            s(TripTime) + Trtmt +
            s(TripTime):Trtmt,
            random = list(Seal =~1), method = "REML",
            data = EsealsAll)

"Error in model.frame.default(formula = MaxDepth ~ Trtmt +
s(TripTime):Trtmt +  :
  invalid type (list) for variable 's(TripTime)'
In addition: Warning message:
In sp[i] <- ind :
  number of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement length"

I thought this was a problem with trying to use different vector
lengths, but the length of both is the same (1001). Help please? What
am I doing wrong? Not sure if my mistake is one of faulty statistical
reasoning, or incompetence with R.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Jennifer Maresh, PhD Student
Center for Ocean Health, Long Marine Lab
100 Shaffer Rd.
University of California
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
maresh at biology.ucsc.edu