[R] installation problem

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon Sep 14 18:02:07 CEST 2009

wesley mathew wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I have some problem for installing  XML_2.6-0.tar . I am working in widows
> and R version is  R-2.9.1
>    >*install.packages("XML")*
> After selecting a CRAN mirror
> **
> *Error :-* Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.pt.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.9
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.9
> Warning messages:
> 1: In open.connection(con, "r") :
>   unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.
> 2: In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>   package ‘XML’ is not available
> **

Looks like you have some network problem and cannot access the
repositories. Ask you local administrator for help.

>   >*install.packages( "c:/program files/R/XML_2.6-0.tar.gz", type="source",
> repos=NULL)*
> *Error  :-*  'sh' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

It is not straightforward nor very easy to install XML from sources.
You'd need a) the tools for compiling packages from source and even then
you'd need b) to have additional software such as the XML sources and
need to adapt some files in the XML package.

Uwe Ligges