[R] could not find function "Varcov" after upgrade of R?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Sep 12 13:46:28 CEST 2009

On Sep 12, 2009, at 5:24 AM, zhu yao wrote:

> After upgrading R to 2.9.2, I can't use the anova() fuction.
> It says "could not find function "Varcov" ".
> What's wrong with my computer? Help needed, thanks!

You have not given us very much information but from the naming
conventions I would guess that you need to reinstall the Design/Hmisc
combination of packages after having updated your R from an an earlier
version of R that was different in the "second digit". The libraries
for the 2.9 series of R versions is stored in a different directory
than the 2.8 or 2.7 versions. There is a simple command to the
update.packages function that will reinstall updated versions of the
packages you had previously installed. My practice, unnecessarily
incremental, has been to reinstall each of the packages from scratch.

The automatic method would be:

update.packages()  # which will ask you to confirm eachnpackage

# or

update.packages(ask=FALSE) # which will not ask

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories