[R] Moving to Mac OS X

Fri Sep 11 19:37:00 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sep 11, 2009, at 1:15 PM, Victor Manuel Garcia Guerrero wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been using R on Windows for a long time, but now I am ready
> to move to Mac OS X, but I was just wondering if R works better on
> Mac than on Windows. This is because I had some memory size issues
> in the past.

64bit R (from http://r.research.att.com/) works great on 64 bit macs
w/ OS X ... my R sessions have chewed up all of the 8gb of ram on my
cpu that were available if need be (and choked the rest of my system).

> Another question is if some of you know an R editor for Mac (just
> like Tinn-R).

I'm not sure that there's a consensus. Here's a very recent thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/161063/focus=161335

All the usual players:

  * Emacs w/ ESS
  * JGR
  * Eclipse + StatET plugin
  * I understand people are excited about an R plugin for jEdit that
this guy is working on: http://romainfrancois.blog.free.fr/

I use TextMate .. there's an R.bundle for it which I don't really use
aside from its syntax highlighting, though it does more (like sending
commands to (some) R process). Works great w/ LaTeX+Sweave, too.  It
seems that's all I really need as I spend most of my time in the
terminal then sourcing some file that has the functions I'm trying to
refine anyway ...

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou