[R] Linux R version: best?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Sep 10 23:54:50 CEST 2009

On Sep 10, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Steve Lianoglou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sep 10, 2009, at 4:47 PM, S. Few wrote:
>
>> For my Redhat 5.2 Linux box, which version of R would be most stable?
>>
>> I am doing forecasting, statistics, etc.
>
> I believe the conventional wisdom is to always download the latest
> version ... and also, typically, update your current version to the
> latest version when it's released.

I would just add that the current version available in a binary RPM
for RHEL 5.x on CRAN is 2.9.2 and the current binary RPM available via
the EPEL (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL) is 2.9.1. I would
expect to see 2.9.2 on the EPEL soon.

Unlike server operating systems such as RHEL, which have a long multi-
year support window, most applications do not. R's life cycle is such
that support (bug fixes, patches, etc.) for released versions is
essentially limited to the current release. So there are strong
motivations, as Steve noted, to stay up to date as new R versions are
released.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

P.S. to Steve L, I just noted your e-mail address...LOL